cinnamon sugar baked donuts
We eat a lot of cinnamon sugar toast in this house. "We" meaning Anderson. It's what he often asks for to hold him over in the morning til real breakfast comes, or until lunch time. It's also what he asks for before bed when he's without a doubt, still hungry.
Needless to say when I came across Ina Garten's recipe for baked cinnamon sugar donuts I had to make them. Clearly we were all about donut making after the chocolate ones we made the other month so having a go at a less sweet kind sounded like a good option.
Ina didn't disppoint- as if I thought she could- and these donuts turned out perfect just as a baked donut should taste. They weren't cupcake-like at all but definitely donuts and a nice treat we all ate right up. I had hopes of bringing a big plate of them to Bible study the following day but somehow that didn't happen...
Recipe thanks to Ina Garten
Ingredients You'll Need for the Donuts
- cooking or baking spray with flour
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Ingredients You'll Need for the Topping
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray your donut pan well- you'll use it a few times for how much batter this makes.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a small bowl whisk the egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together then spoon the batter into the pans until 3/4 filled. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then cool on a wrack.
- In a saucepan melt the butter. In a separate bowl mix the cinnamon sugar. When the donuts are cool enough to work with dip them in the butter then sugar mixture and eat.them.up!