celebrating 2 and a half + the best vanilla cupcakes
We threw a little party for Anderson turning two and a half with my parents, my friend whose an auntie to him and his best buddy because naturally most people throw half birthdays, right?
Consider myself the crazy Mom who talked his half birthday up so much that we ended up having a party for it.
I told Benjamin we'll be having a half-year party for Tucker soon when he's 6 months old. Just kidding. Kinda. I do think it's fun to celebrate life and at this point anything is fun if it's a party in Anderson's world so dinner party we had, complete with cupcakes of course.
I had made these Vanilla Cupcakes before and decided to make them again because they are quite frankly the best vanilla cupcakes I've ever had- complete with shortening, buttermilk, and cake flour how could these cupcakes go wrong?
The icing is pretty perfect as well- cream cheese cuts through making them less sweet than some frostings which are all too overpowering.
Need some cupcakes in your Easter weekend? Make these.
Ingredients You'll Need for the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
Ingredients for the Icing:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line about 18 muffin cups with liners
- Cream together the shortening and sugar until fluffy. In a separate bowl sift together the flour and salt.
- In yet another bowl mix the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda, and vinegar.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the shortening until totally combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared liners and bake for 17-20 minutes or just until done. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and allow them to cool on a wire wrack.
Once cool frost them with the icing which you make by combining all the icing ingredients.
Enjoy- I know you will!