apple butter french toast roll ups
I'm back with a recipe that can brighten up your weekend. I'm always looking for fun breakfast ideas and this one was quite clever. The idea of french toast bites for a brunch is perfect- serve a crowd and have them all be warm at the same time.
In our case it meant serving Benjamin, his Mom, Anderson, and me. In true form Tucker wanted breakfast just as we were all sitting down so I had my french toast bites a little after everyone else. I dipped mine in a recommended sauce, but next time I'd just opt for maple syrup. I'm from Ohio- I chose maple syrup any day.
This recipe comes from another blog, Chocolate Moosey, and was used with one of my favorite ingredients, Musselmans Apple Butter. Although I love using it in my apple butter pancakes, this was a fun new way to use it. After making these Anderson decided he wanted his sandwiches now in roll-up form. Of course.
Ingredients You'll Need:
- 16 sliced wheat sandwich bread
- 1 cup apple butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with silpat and then get your bread out.
2. Roll out the bread til it's thin, spread apple butter on it, roll and place on the baking sheet seam side down. Repeat.
3. In a bowl beat the egg, milk, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg. Dip the roll ups in this then place back on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes brush them with butter then place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
4. Take them out of the oven, roll in cinnamon sugar (3/4 teaspoon cinnamon with 1 tablespoon sugar) and serve warm with maple syrup.