Giardiniera (or pickled veg)
In continuing with the pickled veg theme I thought I'd share another recipe I made. This one tasted good after a week but really delicious after several months. It's another great little addition to a barbecue or cocktail party. People may be surprised by how much they like pickled carrots, cauliflower, and fennel.
I brought this along to the big summer potluck as well and heard from a friend that she took a jar with her home from dinner and had it as part of her breakfast the next day. Impressive!
This recipe is a good one if you're new to canning and want to try it out. It only makes 2 quarts and the ingredients are available year round, though of course more fresh and delicious in the summer.
Recipe thanks to Rachael Ray
Makes 2 Quarts
Ingredients You'll Need
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups peeled, sliced carrots
- ice water
- 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups shaved fennel
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup sliced jalapeno chiles
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1. In a large pot of boiling water cook the cauliflower and carrots for 2 minutes then transfer to the ice water to stop them from cooking.
2. In another pot bring 2 cups water, the vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil. Add the cooked cauliflower, carrots, fennel, onions, jalapenos, mustard seeds and celery seeds and return to a boil. Remove from the heat.
3. Using a slotted spoon transfer the veg to 2 hot sterilized quart jars then ladle the hot pickling liquid on top, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal the jars. In a water-bath canner, process the jars for 15 minutes then remove from the water and allow to sit in one place for 24 hours before storing them. Make sure they sealed of course!