Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken with Potatoes, Carrots and Peas
The air conditioner is on for the first time this year. It's officially inching into summer and I'm writing a post about a slow-cooker recipe...what's my problem? The thing is, I made this for a friend who recently had a baby and she asked for the recipe. I thought it was on here but when I realized it wasn't, and should be, I had to post it. So, I'm a bad blogger for not posting this when I made it the first time, and also for posting it while it's nearing 90 outside. Lovely.
If you're still with me I'll admit too that I realized I hadn't blogged about this post-prep and so you get pictures of it in the slow cooker and then on the plate. Deal with it. You'll be happy you did when you try it out.
I love this recipe for many reasons. First off, chicken thighs. Such an economical and flavorful piece of meat these little gems cook up beautifully in this dish. In fact, some of them were literally falling off the bone. Another reason I love it is because you can tell there's some elbow work involved in the beginning, as with most Cooks Illustrated recipes, giving it a wonderful depth of flavor that is often hard to find in slow-cooker recipes. People generally think of dumping some cans into a pot and letting it go. I haven't found a recipe like that which I love- have you?
I'd recommend making this when you want a hot meal. Might I suggest for your lunch at work when you need to warm up from the people blasting the AC. Or, if you've been to Sri Lanka in the hot hot heat like I have, eating a hot curry dish will send you straight back there.
Recipe thanks to Cooks Illustrated. Serves a crowd: 6-8 easily.
Ingredients You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and ribs removed then minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated ginger
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 5 medium red potatoes cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Minute tapioca
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skins removed and trimmed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 plum tomatoes cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
2. Transfer everything to the slow cooker and stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of broth, potatoes, carrots, soy sauce and tapioca, stirring until well combined. Season the chicken with salt and pepper then nestle it into the broth and vegetable mixture.
3. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender 4-5 hours. My slow cooker is super efficient so mine was done after 4 hours.
4. When the meat is tender turn off the slow cooker and scrape off as much fat as you can from the top with a spoon. Stir in the peas and tomatoes then the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste then cover again so everything is heated through.
Serve it up over some nice brown rice and enjoy!