...Orzo Salad with Spicy "Buttermilk" Dressing...
Welcome grilling season. Welcome summer sides. Welcome warm weather. So thankful it's heating up without being humid just yet. I'm getting used to this nice 73-75 and sunny and hate to remind myself that soon the humidity will consume us. Blast.
Here's a nice side I made the other week to accompany some cole slaw and grilled chicken thighs. Recipes to come on those. It was satisfying and packed with great flavor- something you could easily make to keep those vegetarian friends of yours happy as well.
I cheated and instead of buying buttermilk I made some myself by just adding a teaspoon or two of white vinegar to the milk. The milk will "curdle" this way and you'll find yourself having not bought buttermilk that ends up sitting in your fridge until it's too late to do something with it.
I'd recommend this dish for the summer- you can add some avocado in there as well or as a garnish on top. No avocados here, but don't let me hold you back...
Recipe thanks to and loosely adapted from Cooking Light
Ingredients You'll Need:
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup "buttermilk" (buy the real thing or take 1/4 cup milk and add 1-2 teaspoons white vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse well. Place orzo, corn, and next three ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
2. Combine the sauce- buttermilk, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl. Once well combined drizzle over your orzo mixture and stir to coat.
Enjoy! This keeps well a few days in the fridge but is best eaten on the day it was made.