I made this cool refreshing soup a bit ago, and was a fan. I always love gazpacho in the summertime. This one isn't as chunky as I might prefer, but quick and simple it sure is. Enjoy.
Recipe thanks to Martha
- 1 cup small pieces white bread (torn from day-old rustic bread, crust removed)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, plus 8 very thin rounds for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 peppers) jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Stir together bread, garlic, vinegar, and 3/4 cup cold water in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Process cucumber, roasted peppers, and bread mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Puree half of the tomatoes in the blender, and transfer to the bowl with cucumber mixture. Puree remaining tomatoes, slowly adding oil while blender is running. Transfer to the bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in salt; season with pepper. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, about 30 minutes.